10.16.2005

Michelangelo Antonioni


I scored BIG at Amoeba Music store today. I found an out of print copy of Il Deserto Rosso (the Red Desert) for US$35 + tax.

It is directed by Michelangelo Antonioni, one of my favorite directors (L'Avventura) (Kubrick (2001: A Space Odyssey) being the other) and Red Desert is considered to be the "4th" flim in his trilogy of films made during the 50's and 60's dealing with relationships. It is also his first color film, and stars Monica Vitti who incidentally resembles Cate Blanchett especially in her expressions.


The DVD has been out of print since 1999 and regularly goes for 150-200 bucks on Ebay. The cover has some scuff marks, but I now have the complete "trilogy" of 4 flims (the other hard to find item being La Notte thanks to Alecia). muhahahah *cough cough*

Screw it, here is the list of his trilogy:

1. L'Avventura (The Adventure), 1960
2. La Notte (The Night), 1961
3. L'Ecclise (The Eclipse), 1962
4. Il Deserto Rosso (The Red Desert), 1964

L'Avventura is probably the best of the four. I can watch this film over and over again (I still am). Really, I can watch any of the films above and find something new every time.

I also have Blow Up the first Antonioni film I saw and the one that started my obsession and I'm waiting for Il Grido (the film before the trilogy) from Amazon, which I recently found out is still in print.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home