12.01.2006

Primo

For my first crab of the season I tried to experience it as a tourist would.

I hopped on the F-car on Market. You can make out the Sutro Tower on the upper right and an F-car approaching.














(look a Mini Cooper in San Francisco)

It took about 40 minutes to get down to Pier 39 or 41 (I always forget). It's basically one pier away from the tourist trap pier with the sea lions. Every year, well, since last year, I've been going to the Crab Station which is the 2nd stall type of eatery. They have an indoor seating area but I prefer the tradition of standing outside near the cooking vat.










































(The crab cracker (?) was an expert flipping his tool and cracking it pretty damn fast)

There was a lot of people out at the wharf even though the weather was cold (We had such a nice and warm summer and fall that I had forgotten San Francisco has a "winter."). I had to wait for sometime just to get a spot.

I started a new tradition by naming each crab. This one is Primo. Recently I've been trying to thank every animal I eat which is kind of hard since I eat meat probably more than once a day.

I finally got Primo, it's on the smallish size but for 15 bucks that's not too bad.














I was so hungry I forgot to take a picture before I started eating. I didn't like it that they left the body meat in the shell where it was soaking in crab innard juices. The big surprise was that the best part of the meat isn'tin the main claws as I always thought but in the "thighs" of the 8 smaller legs: slide them right out of the shell and dip that nugget into the cocktail sauce... mmm. Tradition again dictated that I dance in place with each huge nugget. All done:














Overall, a great experience but how can you go wrong with fresh dungeness crabs? I would have liked it to have boiled with a bit more salt but that's minor. To bookend my tourist experience I discovered a WW2 submarine and ship musuem just behind the restaurants. I gotta go down there again very very soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Slight Male Coyote a life in the day of said...

Mmm crab!
Good to do the "touristy" thing now and again.
You know Chester has the best preserved Roman wall surrounding the city center than anywhere in the UK. I have lived here for 24 years and I've never walked round it. Must do it.

Next year get a vid of your dance, I'd like to have seen that!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home