3.05.2007

Zodiac

I went to see David Fincher's new film, Zodiac, last night at the Metreon. I haven't been to a movie theater in probably six months but I just couldn't wait to see a movie about San Francisco in the 60's/70's.

The film was pretty good and better the more I think about it. Even though I read a few reviews and had some idea of what it was about, I didn't expect it to be more of a character-driven film focusing on the three main characters. The film is about how the three people's lives changed, even long after the case disappears from the media. I really liked Jake Gyllenhal's character. He obsesses over the case to the point of neglecting his family and self. It kind of reminded me of my obsessions...

Speaking of which, after the show was let out, the audience slowly filed out and I noticed from the corner of my eye a blonde woman with her hair covering her eyes. I did a double take and shouted out, "Ellie!" It was none other than Ellie Erickson of Erase Errata. She was with her boyfriend and we exchanged our views of the film really quickly. I didn't want to take up her space so we said our byes and I quickly walked off, perhaps a bit too quick so I probably looked awkward flying by all the other people. Anyways, she must think I'm really creepy now cause I went by myself to a screening of a film about serial killer... well, I like to think of it as a film about obsessives. :P

From a technical and formalist standpoint, the film is amazing. Fincher completely transforms the city to the way it was. I was constantly trying to recognize all the street shots. There is an amazing fly by shot approaching the Port of San Francisco, and all the cityscape looks accurate down to the construction, the freeway that was levelled after the earthquake, etc. He also has trick shots using text over film and helicopter shots that have to be seen to be believed.

Anyways, I thought it was pretty good, not Fincher's best, but now that I've slept on it, I'm liking it more. I would love to check it out again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home