12.07.2005

fresh dungeness crab

I've been anxious for the dungeness crab season since SF Gate has been hyping it.

So for lunch, I hopped on the F-Market train and headed to Pier 41 (NOT 39) and stepped into crab heaven. A stand run by a chinese family ("Do you sell half of a crab?" "no." "How much is this one?" "9.1.1")(the crab stand starts with a G and has been opened since early 20th century - I'll remember when I go back). Unfortunately the crab was dead but they put it in a steamer/boiler for like 30 seconds and out came my crab.

I don't remember exactly what happened in the next 5 minutes. It was an flurry of crab meat, shell bits, lemon juice, cocktail sauce and crab juice. I vaguely remember wiping the juices and sauce from my sweater a few times. There was another asian guy eating next to me who I thought was eating even faster than me.

The real question is how much crab can one eat without getting sick?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Made a trip to 'frisco from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia recently in Oct. I went berserk with dungeness carbs at Pier 39. Ahh... can still taste it... Yup, definitely must go back there sometime.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home