9.07.2005

Abraham Lincoln's rocking chair

Here is my favorite MUNI story to date:

4/2/2004

so I wait for the N-Judah at 12AM after my gaming session. Another guy, 30ish with a goatee, wearing one of those mechanics jacket, comes up to the stop and asks if the N-Judah is coming by considering how late it is. I tell him that I think so and after a brief banter, I call MUNI on my cell and it's a recording with no definite answer. Meanwhile Mr. Goatee is across the street smoking his weed. He tells me he's going to run to the next stop for whatever reasons and we say bye. He runs. The J-Church (wtf? It's on 17th AVE!) pulls up soon after, and fortunately for Mr. Goatee, he makes it to the next stop in time to get on. And along with him, hops on this man:

He's in his late 50s or early 60s dressed in ragged clothes. He's missing a few teeth and has a fake beard DRAWN on his face with a black magic marker much like Abraham Lincoln's... and he is carrying a rocking chair.

It's fairly obvious that he's a bit bonkers. He gets on, sits in near me and an asian couple (who is in front of me). There are about a dozen people on the train. All of a sudden, he starts laughing. Laughing, laughing, and laughing. The asian couple gets up quicly to find a seat elsewhere further back. I'm thinking about doing the same. He's not looking at anyone, just laughing. A few minutes pass, I'm trying to ignoring him, and he's still laughing. Mr. Goatee who's sitting behind me starts laughing as well (he's high, duh). This goes on for a few stops. Mr. Beard says, "Where is M.I.T.?" He keeps laughing and so does Mr. Goatee. A few minutes later, a drunk man across from me and I crack a smile. One by one, everyone starts smiling or laughing. Mr. Beard and Mr. Goatee never stop laughing. So from 14th Ave. all the way to Duboce and Church, everyone in the first car is either laughing or smiling. He gets off on Duboce and Church and some of us wave to him goodbye and he waves back... laughing.

I can't explain the "beard" or the rocking chair, but it was a really nice and a surreal experience even though the man who started it all was completely nuts...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were near me and didn't say HI or invite me to the game? Shame on you. Just for that you should sit on the N Judah and get laughed at!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Andy said...

no no, this was when I was leaving the game at your place... :o

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.

[Gilda voice]

Nevermind

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home